Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hyatt's escape

I was in the apartment when I heard the dogs freak out. They have a particular style of bark when a stranger has come in the yard, so I went outside and noticed they were barking in the alley. I called them to me, and then suddenly the librarian (the library is a stone's throw from my house, just across the alley) came walking down the alley with Hyatt holding her hand! I was amazed! Then it hit me.

We were supposed to go to the library in about 45 minutes for story time, so I had told Dallas to send Hyatt home so we could go to the library. Hyatt had been hanging out in the front yard with the boys while they excavated our crawlspace. I guess that what Hyatt understood from Dallas was that he should go to me at the library. He ended up there asking "Where's my Mommy?" I have no idea how the librarian knew to go down the alley to find me, since we only recently started going to the library. Maybe Hyatt directed her. She said she thought he belonged to me. I'm just glad she didn't walk him across the street to the police station. They wouldn't have known how to find me, and I wouldn't have noticed he was gone for 45 minutes. I would have assumed he was still with the boys, and they would have assumed he was with me. Thank goodness nothing happened! Normally he would never go in the alley without me, but I guess that thinking I was already down there, he was brave enough to go. I'm glad he didn't have to cross any streets!

No comments: