Friday, December 19, 2008

Tiana's Quick Picks for Baby Gear

This post is for those who are looking for great baby gear. I've had some requests lately about what my recommendation is for particular baby items, since I love researching the crud out of baby stuff, so here are a few items I don't ever want to live without. Granted, all of these items may seem to lean toward the spendy side, but they're actually mid-range compared to some of the stuff out there.

After having tried cheaper brands for these items, I am CONVINCED that all of my picks are WELL worth every penny I spent on them. I only wish I had discovered them earlier, before I wasted money on the cheap stuff.

After ages of research, these are items I've purchased and use pretty much everyday:

**UMBRELLA STROLLER: Maclaren Volo
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, compares to a Maclaren. It's easy to use, lightweight, has great handles you don't hunch over, a canopy and basket, and the wheels NEVER drive me crazy like cheap umbrellas. I sort of wish I had bought the Triumph since the Volo doesn't recline, but it does the job and the kids seem comfortable enough when they sleep in it. I chose the Volo because it was on sale for $75 at Target. In England, you'll be hard pressed to find a different brand of umbrella stroller.

Check out this link: Maclaren umbrella strollers



**DOUBLE STROLLER/JOGGER: Phil & Teds E3
I have yet to find a front/back double jogger. I think they're only side by side. Regular double strollers are either super long or super wide. I stumbled on Phil & Teds somehow while looking at reviews of strollers. It said that if you have a kid with another on the way, the only way to go is to get a Phil & Teds. I researched it online, bit the bullet, bought the whole shebang with the doubles kit, pannier bags, double rain cover and insect cover, plus a BOB handlebar console for drinks/phone storage all for somewhere around $500. This the BEST baby item I have purchased yet.
The front wheel locks for jogging, yet swivels for walking. It's never larger than the size of single jogger, it folds so compactly for a double, and it comes in cool colors. The E3 is outdated now and is comparable with the classic or sport double. They have come out with newer models with improvements (that I wish mine had), but I love mine just the same and swear by this brand. You will NEVER regret this purchase, no matter how much it costs you. I see them everywhere in big cities, amusement parks, and even in London.
Oh!! In a pinch, I've used the foot well as a 3rd seat, as long as the rider isn't so heavy that the foot well rubs on the wheel. It saved us in England a lot.

Here's a link. You have to click on "push" and "inline buggies": Phil & Teds inline buggies



Here's the BOB handlebar console I added to my jogger. Love it!


**INFANT CAR SEAT: Chicco Keyfit30
I don't know if this is the most amazing seat ever, especially since I haven't tried the Britax Companion that has a stability bar in an accident, but I really like my Chicco, and it's a heck of a lot better than the Eddie Bauer one I had for Talea and Hyatt. The handle doesn't make a loud click when you raise it up, therefore it doesn't wake up the baby. Also, it slides smoothly and quietly into it's base and I never have to worry about one side not locking in. It has adequate padding and comes in some cool colors. The canopy comes off in the back, allowing me to change its position when the sun is in the baby's eyes. It also goes up to 30 pounds, which is great if your baby gets chubby fast like Kiersa. I'm completely satisfied with it.

Here's a link: Chicco Infant Seat



**CONVERTIBLE CAR SEAT: Britax Boulevard
I hated the Eddie Bauer convertible seat I had for Talea. Talk about a kinked neck when she slept! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this seat! It has a great side-impact protection head pillow that keeps my kids so comfortable (and safe) when they sleep. They stay completely secure in their seats and can't get out by themselves. They can't pull the chest snap down and get their arms out! It works from 5 to 65 pounds. The fabric is soft and washable (I put it in the gentle cycle and air dry it just to be safe). They have a new and improved Boulevard called the Boulevard CS out now where the head wings angle out a bit more so the viewing angle isn't as blocked, and there's an audible click when you've tightened the harness properly (my parents need that when securing my kids!). There are also a lot more pattern options. My next Boulevard will be a CS in the cow print. I can't imagine using anything else since using this seat. It is bliss! Never a speck of regret after this purchase, and I've purchased 2. Well worth the money!!

Here's a link to Britax: Britax Boulevard



Now this is what I'm talking about! Look how comfy they are. Not a kinked neck in the bunch! Especially the little ones in the Britax Boulevards.


***BOOSTER SEAT: Compass B540
My nephew had the Graco high back booster, and his head was constantly flopped forward while he slept and he looked painfully uncomfortable, so I hunted for a seat with a better head rest. I found this one, and I really like it. The head pillows are larger, so Tilly's head stays up in it and she's more comfortable. She hates using her Graco backless (that's my secondary booster until I get the camouflage Compass) compared to this one. The armrests flip up, which makes it easier for Tilly to buckle and get in and out. The back also folds down which makes it easy when flying with it or when storing it in a truck when it's not needed. So far, I'm completely satisfied with Tilly's comfort and safety while in this seat. No complaints from Tilly either.

To see what Tilly looks like sleeping in her booster, see the picture above with all three kids sleeping. Her head stays in place.

None of this for my kids!


Hope this helps! If you have any recommendations for me of baby gear you swear by, I'd love to know what they are. I love researching stuff and finding out what people like.

1 comment:

The George's said...

Glad to know you like the Maclaren Volo, we are buying one today. My favorite site for deals on good stuff is babycheapskate.com. I don't know if you have checked it out, but she finds all sorts of good deals.