Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Interior...someday

There are some HUGE benefits to being married to a kitchen designer. For one, I get smoking deals on cabinets. Our cabinetry throughout the house will cost us roughly $6,000. It will be considered a display with all the tours we always give customers of our kitchens/baths, which gives us 50% off, plus we don't pay the additional mark up we have to charge customers. Our cabinetry would cost a person off the street roughly $18,000.

Another benefit of his skills is that he can also design other rooms of a house. Hyrum can draw up the layout of our house and how we want it to be when it's done. I love it, because I'm VERY visual and can't picture what something will look like unless I see a picture of it.

It's kind of a good thing that our house has taken so long to remodel, because we've changed our minds about 100 times on what we're going to do to it. I would be one of those annoying customers who want to change their plans a million times and end up getting charged a higher markup because of all the time I consumed. Just as he leaves picking baby names up to me and he just says yes or no, I leave all designing up to him and then I just approve or nix what he comes up with. He has serious skills that I trust completely. Here are the latest designs we have for the house.

I'll explain the rooms top to bottom, left to right.

Top floor:
master bedroom
walk-in closet, master lounge area, master bath
laundry room
hallway (with railing around open stairwell)
kids' bath
3 kids bedrooms


Bottom floor:
dining room, kitchen, mudroom, guest bathroom
entry
guest bedroom, stairwell, sitting room
living room

A deck will wrap around the right side of the bottom floor from the living room corner to the mud room door.

Here is my dream kitchen, complete with raised dishwasher (less bending, no babies falling on the racks), pantry cabinets, double oven, gas range in the island, and baking center with a lowered counter and one of those special mixer cabinets.

View from sitting room:

View from dining room:

Ariel view:
The island top doesn't have jaggedy sides. It just looks that way for some reason in this view. The valance over the sink will be solid and will house recessed lights that shine on the sink area.


I have found that with each pregnancy, new pains find their way into my life. I currently have a tight muscle in my right bum cheek (the same one that's acted up off and on over the years) down to my leg that makes it really painful to walk (sort of like when my ankle was giving me grief), so I wobble/limp REALLY bad...worse than a pregnant woman should, and trudging up and down our apartment stairs with bags of groceries, a laundry basket, or babies, makes it extremely difficult, and painful, so I am super duper ANXIOUS for our house to be done since I'll only have a couple of steps to climb to get in the house.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!! Think positive, right?

4 comments:

John-Maren Goodman said...

We are thinking positive for you!~ Maybe our positive thoughts(and a few divine prayers)will carry through will yours, and get this project under way and finished in the next 2mths before little Paisley gets here! Dreams take so much work, but they're so worth it in the end!!!!!

The Not-a-hoes said...

i know i am the same way with designs, when hyrum was explaining all this to david and i, i couldnt see it so i just smiled and said oh yeah sounds great. i love that the laundry room is right there where all the bedrooms are. my mom dated a guy whose washer and dryer were actually in the middle of his walk in closet...it looked pretty handy.

as for your sore bum...i wish i were there! as weird as it sounds butts are my favorite thing to massage, just because after im done there is like a 1/2 inch difference from the one i just did and the untouched one. my friend was pregnant while i was going to school so we used to have to wait about 45 min each day for david to get out so we we sit with my teacher and he would show me where to massage pregnant women to really get the kinks out, and the bum/hip area was my specialty :)
i wish david would be patient enough for me to teach him how to do it on me, i think thats the worst part...i know where and how but i just cant reach.

Amanda said...

Love it!! You will also have my dream kitchen. The kitchen in our new house is so sad compared to our old home.
When I was pricing out kitchens $6000 bought you a Home Depot "special." That is awesome that you get such a great deal on cabinets.
What are you doing for countertops? Are you going to mix it up? What color are you doing for your cabinets. How about flooring? I had so much fun picking out materials when we built, so now I need to live vicariously through you! :)

The Lanyons said...

Cool. Do you like the cabinets to cover the fridge/dishwasher etc? I alway like that but I guess that's because I like everything to look old fashioned. I'm excited to see how it all turns out.