Saturday, December 13, 2008

Country Christmas

Myrtle Point has one fast-food restaurant: A&W. And it's not a drive-thru, it's a drive-in. Coquille has no fast food chain restaurants.

The owner of A&W is the father of the high school barrel racing champion in Oregon. He came in to get a scrap countertop from Hyrum the other day and we found out that his daughter, Olivia, gives horseback riding lessons. We went out to their arena last night and watched some barrel racing until the kids got too cold, and we talked to Olivia about lessons.

I've neglected swim lessons and dancing lessons since I don't know of any that are local, so instead, Talea officially starts horseback riding lessons on Tuesday. We're all pretty excited for it! I've always wanted my kids to grow up riding horses. Girls that love horses usually take longer to notice boys, and I'm all over that.

We'll start Hyatt in lessons too if Olivia thinks he's ready. He's dying to ride! He is completely obsessed with all things cowboy right now, and we've been watching the rodeo finals in Vegas every night. Tilly loves the barrel racing and Hyatt loves the roping. Hyatt even points out the buckskins to me since those are my favorite. My kids wear their cowboy boots almost constantly now, including Kiersa. We found her some "cowbabies", and they're the only shoes that fit her chubby feet properly and don't fall off all the time. I LOVE the horses on them!


When we stayed at Maren's, Braxton had a bouncy horse that my kids LOVED, so we bought one for them at ToysRUs for Christmas, then we found one on craigslist for a fraction of the price yesterday, so we picked it up today and we'll return the new one to the store. I can't wait to see their faces on Christmas!


I also can't wait to post pictures of Hyatt after Christmas all decked out in cowboy gear. He's been asking for some for a long time. On our way out to Utah, he saw the wild donkeys in the high desert and said "I wish I had a rope so I could rope those wild donkeys." Santa won't be able to resist granting that wish.

I think our household is becoming very Western, and that's just fine with me.

1 comment:

The Lanyons said...

Love the shoes. I've seen those on lots of babies out here too. And what a great rocking horse.