Thursday, December 4, 2008

Curses! Failed again!

I told Hyrum I was willing to bet money that I'd fail my first glucose test today (due to the fact that I failed the first glucose test with Hyatt and Kiersa), but he didn't take me up on it. I guess he knew I'd fail too.


If you're not aware, the glucose test is what tells you if you have gestational diabetes or not. You take a test by drinking a sugary, carbonated drink (some people gag over it, but it tastes exactly like 7-UP to me, with a bit of an aftertaste, so I don't mind it one bit), and after an hour they draw your blood and test it.


If you score above 130, you have to go back later and repeat the test with an even sweeter drink after which you get your blood drawn every hour for 3 hours to see if you truly have diabetes. I've never failed the second test...yet. If you score over 200 on your first test, they know automatically (without the second test) that you have diabetes.

My score was 179. If memory serves me correctly, that's by far the highest I've scored, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I pass the second test. I can go and take the second one any time that I have a free 3 hours to sit in a waiting room.

Some good news: I only gained 1 pound, which is AMAZING to me since I was a serious glutton at Thanksgiving and I pigged out on snacks on the 17 hour drive there, and on the way back. I didn't do anything different than I have from my last appointments, so I thought I'd gain 8 pounds again, but no. I'm up to 174. 172 was my official highest weight in my life, so I've now officially passed it.

The other good news is that I always start to taper off on weight gain from now to the end, so hopefully I won't pass the dreaded 175 pound mark by too much. I gained 9 pounds from 28 weeks to the end with Talea, but most of that was water weight since I was seriously swollen with Toxemia. During that same time period, I only gained 1/2 pound with Hyatt. I gained 6 pounds in that 12 weeks with Kiersa. I always do my major weight gain in the beginning and middle of my pregnancy since I never get sick.

Some odd news: My belly is measuring a bit big. He says it doesn't feel like I have a lot of excess amniotic fluid, so he'll keep an eye on the size of the baby and if it seems like it's getting too big too fast, he'll do an ultrasound to check it out. That makes me nervous, because one of the side effects of gestational diabetes is large babies. Ohhhh, I don't want to try to birth a 10 pounder!!!


So Nana, I'll keep you posted on when you should come out. I may not know until a couple weeks prior. Sorry!

So if it's not gestational diabetes...could it be Toxemia again? Not likely, but it could. My legs are so swollen. It's starting to feel like how it was when I was pregnant with Talea, and even ankle socks are leaving major indentions, and all my shoes feel tight. My blood pressure is still okay, but I did have a bit of protein in my urine, so they'll keep an eye on that. (Swelling, high blood pressure, headaches, and protein in the urine are all signs of Toxemia.)

Some misery: The varicose vein on the back of my left knee is really bothering me. I started getting it with Talea, and each baby has made it get bigger and longer. I refuse to wear compression hose...so far. I waddle like a duck and I grunt every time I try to get up or down. Ohhhhhhh. I still have 11 1/2 weeks???


Some last good news: I'm down to a 3 week appointment, then a couple of 2 week ones, then 1 week after that until the end. You know you're getting close when you get away from the 4 week appointments.

2 comments:

The Lanyons said...

I hate the end of pregnancy. And the beginning. Oh yeah, and the middle bit too.

The Not-a-hoes said...

now i know what to expect next week! its so weird to me that every appointment you have, we have a week later! i am seeing my dr a little early for my appointments too tho, since our first one we thought i was 12 but was really 8 weeks, it has kind of thrown off our schedule. i had my 20 week ultrasound at barely 19 weeks so that is prob why