Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Party crashers


We live a block away from the fire station, and last week we heard a bunch of squeals and screams, like kids having a great time. We looked out the window and what did we see? Popcorn popping on the apricot tree! No, apple tree! And beyond that we saw that there was some kind of huge party going on at the fire station. Hyrum had just gotten home from work, and I had been working on the never-ending tiling project in the bathroom all day, but we figured there's no time like the present to go crash a party for the sake of making some memories with the kids. With all the kids that were there, we didn't think they'd mind two more. It must have been a school thing, and even though our kids are too young for school, we figured we'd blend in well enough.

It looked pretty fun to Talea...


but Hyatt wasn't too sure about all the commotion.

Talea loved the little fire engine that would run around and squirt water at the kids and talk to them...

until it plowed her over.

It came over and apologized...

but she wasn't too sure she could trust it anymore.

(If you look in the background, that white house is mine. You're looking at the back of it from the fire station parking lot.)

Hyatt was sure that the little fire truck was out for blood and that he was the next target.

(I love his worried scowl!)

"It hit me right here, Mommy. I need a magic Mommy kiss."

(I love that my kisses have the power to heal instantly just because I call them "magic Mommy kisses". Daddy's kisses won't do because he didn't think to label his kisses as "magical" before I did.)


The kids went for a quick ride on an old fashioned fire truck...


but Hyatt wasn't too sure about this truck either.


I waved them goodbye and waited with Kiersa.

(Did I not tell you that I was tiling and just dropped it and ran over for this fun time? This is the unfortunate way I look when I'm working on the house, which is all the time!)

I'm really a country girl who would rather live on acreage outside of town, but I have to say, it's pretty awesome living in the middle of town and being able to walk everywhere within a matter of minutes. I think I fill up my van maybe once a month or every other month, and that's if we go to Ashland. I walk everywhere in town, and only go shopping in Coos Bay when Hyrum is headed over there for work stuff and I can hitch a ride with him to save on gas. Plus, living in town means we can hear when there's a party to crash and just drop things and be there in seconds! I can go in my trucker grubbies and nobody will care because most of them will be in their grubbies too. No keeping up with the Jones' here. Small town life is splendid!!

1 comment:

Our Pratt Pack said...

That little fire truck is so cool