Monday, May 12, 2008

If I die...


Talea, more often than I'd like, thinks about what's going to happen to her if I die. Sometimes she says she'll need a new mom, and sometimes she doesn't want a new mom. Today we went to WalMart, and right before checking out, Talea and I went to the paint department to pick up some paint they'd mixed us. While I was putting it in my cart, an interesting thing happened. Here's our conversation:

Talea: Mommy, if you die, I want her to be my Mommy. That girl that just walked over there. Because if you die I will need a new Mommy. (She's pointing down the main aisle, but I can't see around a display.)

Me: Really? Where is she?

(The people next to us are cracking up.)

Talea: Over there.

(I can't see her, so we go to find her. We pass some aisles, and Talea spots her.)

Talea: There she is! Right there! I want her to be my new Mommy if you die!

Tiana: This one right here?? (I'm a little confused because it looks like she's pointing at a 50+year-old woman with a serious bed-head part on the back of her head.)

Talea: Yeah, with the shopping cart.

Tiana: Why do you want her for your Mommy?

Talea: Because she's the prettiest Mommy!!

I had to chuckle because she's one of the last people I'd expect her to choose for a Mom, but I must say, I approve of her choice because I know Hyrum would always love me more if he was to marry her (well, if his love was determined by age and all). I guess Talea prefers Mommy's who aren't glamorous, but who are a bit on the frumpy side since I spend so much time looking frumpy with my hair undone and no make-up. I had to go up to the lady and tell her all that Talea had said because it was so cute. She laughed, but I could tell she was flattered by it. What I assume was her husband and daughter (daughter was about 20) were down the aisle a bit and they laughed about it too. I swear Talea says the funniest, cutest things!!!

Talea said later that that lady was such a cute Mommy and that she (the lady) didn't have any kids, so she would be her kid.

1 comment:

The Lanyons said...

That's just weird! I hate it when kids talk about crud like that. In one way you wonder if they know more than you (thin veil and all) but usually it just turns out to be nonsense. As if being a parent isn't already stressful enough!