Monday, May 26, 2008

I'd rather lick stinky pits than own a pitbull.

Some of you need to avert your eyes for this post because I have a bone to pick with a dog breed. I've never been a fan of pitbulls. It's my own personal opinion that their heads look strangely deformed and they're too stocky, but I know lots of people who like them. Actually, most of the people I see with pitbulls are pretty shady looking characters, but there are some fine people who like them (Kaylynn, Darin/Teresa, Maren/John to name a few). My neighbor's son (who lives in the basement of my neighbor's home) owns a pitbull. It has only served to once again reinforce my distaste for the breed. When my kids play in the yard, the pitbull lunges at the fence and bangs against it, making it shake and bend, and it barks so loud I can hardly think. My kids play next door sometimes, so the kids aren't a stranger to the dog, but it still freaks out at us. It scares my kids, but we know it's not a mean dog, so we try to overlook how obnoxious it is. This pitbull had 9 puppies a couple months ago, and it reminded me why we stopped breeding our dogs. Puppies are adorable, but so annoying! They whine constantly, and they destroy your yard. The stinking pups keep waking me up before the crack of dawn with their whining and wrestling!

The other morning the last 3 pups woke us up, and when we looked out at them, they looked back in such a cute way we had to capture it with the camera. This is our view of them from our window. My poor neighbor's yard looks like a tornado hit it. The mother dog is nice to my kids when we visit the puppies, but she's nasty toward Hyrum. We had to shower at their house once when our water had problems, and the dog acted like it wanted to rip off Hyrum's head when he shut the bathroom door and then it was nasty when we went to leave. They swear it's gentle and kind, but I don't trust teeth that large when they're backed by a growl and lunging. They couldn't get rid of the last puppies and wanted to give them to us (ha! not in a million years!) or else give them to the pound. Too bad my pitbull loving buddies don't live closer because the middle one (below) had pretty coloring. I haven't seen them since we got back from vacation, so I guess they're gone. Hurray! The good news is that my neighbor's son is moving in a couple weeks and taking the pit with him!!! Hallelujah! That means only my neighbor's little doxie will be next door. He gets out into our yard sometimes, but, like a hound always does, he only has interest in following scents, so he's not a problem.


My other annoyance is the guy across the street who brings his dog to work. It got loose the other day and came into my yard. My dogs immediately went on the defense by barking at it and running toward it, so the stupid dog came over and started attacking my dogs and biting them. Luckily they were only covered in saliva instead of puncture wounds. I was pretty ticked though. So, I'm not much of a dog fan right now. Not even my own dogs really. Ahhhhh!

1 comment:

Austin said...

I hate pitbulls too! I dislike dogs all around, but I really hate pitbulls. My brother had one while he was living back home with us and let just say, poor goat, he didn't do anything to deserve that.
Be careful, even nice pitbulls can turn. If our neighbors had one my kids would never play outside and I would be on the phone every day to animal control.
Some people just shouldn't own animals anyways. I like the houses that you can't even tell they own a pet. It's so clean and tidy and not one animal hair on the sofa. Unlike my mother in laws house where you fight the animals for a seat on the couch. Oh and the lovely urine smell that almost knocks you out when they open the front door. If she only knew that we would come to visit more if they didn't have annoying dogs. (Erik and I have joked about buying them Urine B Gone for gifts)