Saturday, May 31, 2008

Birch Aquarium..or...the fairy and princesses

One park down, 2 to go. We decided to go to the Wild Animal Park, but we got as far as Carl's Jr. for lunch on our way there and decided that it was raining too much to make going out there with kids worthwhile. Don't animals hide when it's raining? We contemplated what to do on a rainy day where everything is located outside because of the mild climate, and decided we'd find a mall to check out the So Cal shopping scene. On our way, Steve called Tash and suggested the Birch Aquarium (UCSD), so we changed plans again and headed over there. I'm glad we did. It was really fun! The most entertaining part of the day were the toy boats in the water tables. I wish I'd gotten pictures of it. We got stuck there quite a while, and I'd bet the adults were more entertained than the kids!

Aquariums are always interesting, and this one even had a booth where you could record a news broadcast and watch yourself afterward. We took a video of it, and though it's hard to hear with background noise and all of us discussing it, it was fun to do, and everyone made an appearance.

We couldn't resist the corny photo ops!

"Say shark attack!"


Here's our little family of 5 now.


Aaaaaahhhhhhhh!


You see? Hyrum's trying to pose Hyatt, but he was getting scared and confused, so Hyrum had to give up. That's why Tilly is always his muse.


Look at my little wippersnappers!

Just a guess, but I wouldn't doubt that these are life-size whales. Can you believe I'm in a picture? (Again, it's for you, Teresa.) Dru is with us, too.


Sisters and cousins.

See? I rarely get a decent picture of Hyrum!

You never realize how heavy 15.5 pounds really feels until you have to sling it around all day for 5 days.

Tilly and I are growing our bangs out together.

Everyone picked out their favorite sea toy to play with.

Dru and Hyatt liked the starfish...

And Tilly was all over the shell action.

Who cares about fish when there are fists to chew on?

"Hey, Dad, my sleeves are rolled up! Can I touch the creatures now?"

Hyrum let Talea crawl up on the rocks to play in the water. (Note the sign on the rocks.)

Hyatt always has to be coaxed into trying something new. I had to force him to touch the thing that looks like an underwater porcupine (it gives your finger a hug!), so I hope I don't scar him for life and make him blame everything wrong in his life on me.

"Look, Daddy! I touched it!"

"I can see my house from here!"

"That was cool!"

"Is it my turn yet?"

"Hang on a second, Hyatt."

"Hey, you took too long. It's not working anymore! I can't see anything!"

"Don't worry about me, guys. I didn't need to see anything anyway. I'll just hang out here and pretend I'm still bundled up in the womb."
Ah Ha! Melanie and I aren't the only Cluffs that are always behind the lens!

Oh, the ocean looks innocent enough, but there was recently a fatal shark attack not too far from here. Wouldn't you know, Cage was brave enough to be back in the water the next day.

There were so many cool things in the tanks.

Ahh, a moment of cooperation instead of fighting over who gets it first!

I love it when Tilly gets to play with cousins close to her age!

You can only see about half of this aquarium in this picture. It's enormous, and the kelp flows back and forth with the waves.



After we were all fished out, we went back to Tasha's and the little girls snuck into Dru's chests of princess dresses. They had a blast playing dress up! Talea ripped the rubber bands out of her hair so her hair could be long and flowing like a princess...or at least a princess having a seriously bad hair day.
Cage (Tasha's oldest who kept having to miss the fun because of school) was amazing with the girls, spending all kinds of time dressing them up in princess dresses.

Well, I don't know how to say it any other way than this: Hyatt's a fairy.

Yep. He was even sporting the wings, heels, and wand. These are going to make excellent blackmail photos when he's a teen!

No, Tilly, you haven't developed a bust to fill out your dress yet.

Child bride...or...robbing the cradle.

Cage even got into the dress up action. I loved her skirt! It looked so fun and full, like a skirt from "7 Brides for 7 Brothers."

Tilly even has the uppity, snooty, nose-in-the-air face to go along with the gown!

Don't they look like Anastasia and Drusilla fighting?

Dru had had enough! Isn't her crying face adorable? I can say that because I'm not her mom having to put up with it. If it was Tilly, I guess it wouldn't look so adorable to me.
And that was the end of a long, rainy, but very fun day.

2 comments:

The Lanyons said...

You guys did so much! I can't believe how cute Kiersa is. How sweet.

Teresa Jolley said...

I am very impressed with you. It's amazing how I can make a comment and someone actually does something about it. Not the way it usually works. I'm happy now. Thank you thank you!!