Sunday, October 5, 2008

Little gets little stitches

Here's Little as a kitten.


Here's Little as a mom.


We had our cat spayed today. She had kittens on July 31st, and my neighbor (a huge spay/neuter advocate), saw the kittens while we were in England since they were beginning to run around the yard and explore, so when we got home, she made it a point to quickly come visit and tell me she had some spay/neuter vouchers and I could have one. I was actually glad to take her up on her offer because we had wanted to get Little spayed as soon as she was big enough, but it costs so darn much that we never got around to it, and now she's a mom.

The voucher was for a feral cat clinic, which is held a few times a year for people to catch feral (wild/stray) cats and get them fixed, so though our cat is a pet, we took her since it was only $25, and I had to pretend like she wasn't our pet. A ton of people bring their pets, so I wasn't the only one. I was supposed to register at 8 am, but forgot about the whole thing until about 8:30. I quickly grabbed Little, stuffed her in a carrier, then took her in the wagon 3 blocks down the road (I love our location! Close to everything!). "Little" was #108, so they thought she might not even get done today. I dropped her off around 9 am and went to pick her up at 6 pm, but she was still in the truck having her procedure. She was the second to last to get done and didn't even come out of surgery until 6:30pm. Johnson Jinx strikes again. When they were cleaning her after surgery and checking for dirty ears and fleas, they kept saying "Wow! You're fat! Someone's been taking good care of you!" I thought I'd get busted for her being a pet. To be fair, Little wasn't fat when we left for England, but when we returned, she was so fat she looked pregnant. It was Jeremy's fault, since he was feeding her while we were gone! I was supposed to wait for her to wake up before I took her home, but since I'd been waiting for an hour already and they were anxious to pack up, they let me take her home.

She's recovering in the house tonight and is feeling very naughty. She hasn't been allowed in the house for the last 8 months (I've decided I like outdoor pets rather than indoor, so my animals have all been kicked out for the most part), so being inside makes her feel like she'd better bolt for an exit before we catch her, but her legs aren't obeying her brain. It's funny and sad at the same time. At least we don't have to worry about more kittens, though Tilly's sad about that.

4 comments:

John-Maren Goodman said...

Teresa had their cat neutered a few weeks ago. She brought him to stay at our house for the day while she cleaned houses. He got blood spots all over our bathroom. John was really grossed out, but I've had cats before so I felt sorry for the poor feline!

The Not-a-hoes said...

my cat still hasnt been spayed and she is starting her habbit of bolting out the door when we open it, i miss when she was afraid of the outside...david threw her out there in the middle of a rain storm and she was horrified of the water...its about time to get it done i guess. im not having kittens!!

The Lanyons said...

I just love that your neighbor had to step in and give you a voucher!! It cracks me up! How brave do you have to be to get into someone's business like that?!

Teresa Jolley said...

I just got my cat nuetered a couple weeks ago and it was free. That is what happens when you live so close to gramps. :)