Saturday, October 4, 2008

America vs England

What I love about being back in America:
The toilets are easy to flush here. In England, you have to really throw your weight on the handle to get a proper flush.

Single spout faucets.

Lanes clearly marked with yellow and white lines so you know if it's a one way or two way street (all the street markings are white in England, so I don't know how they know if it's a one way street or not).

Ranch dressing, peanut butter, muffins and biscuits.

Nice, wide lanes everywhere I drive.

My own bed. Not that I didn't have a great bed at Daisha's, because it was very nice, but there's nothing like being in your own bed that your accustomed to.

Not feeling like a misfit for not drinking tea.

Seat covers at the public bathrooms! I had to use tissue on the seats in England because seat covers are non-existent!

What I miss about England:
Daisha spoiling me rotten. My fingernails grew the longest they've been in my life because I wasn't allowed to lift a finger to do any work. She was an incredible hostess who managed to sneekily keep the house clean when no one was looking even when her time was consumed with being a tour guide, waitress, cook, chauffer, babysitter, wife, entertainer and friend.

The charming villages with so much beauty and character.

The gardens. I long for the gardens.

Ribena.

Walking so much it hurt, because I knew I was burning all kinds of calories.

Edward's witty comments.

Being somewhere seriously cool within 2 hours or less of anywhere you are at any point in time.

The endless entertainment of London.

Daisha's sparkling white, soft towels and luscious smelling laundry.

Hedgehogs to eat all the snails and slugs.

1 comment:

The Lanyons said...

Ahh, thanks for the comment about my laundry. I do like my detergent and fabric softener - it's taken a lot of trail and error before I found the right ones.
I have to disagree with you about the "being within 2 hours of something cool" comment. I'm pretty sure it's much more like 10 minutes!