Monday, July 21, 2008

Revenge of the animal kingdom

So we all know how much Talea adores creatures and bugs, but did you know that several times she has pulled the wings off of flies to watch them be forced to crawl, wiped the powder off a butterfly's wings so it couldn't fly away, has pulled the legs off a Harvestman (daddy long-legs) so it had to crawl using its mouth parts, and has done other methods of torture in the name of exploration and learning. Though pleased when they like her (such as this damselfly)...


...they're usually afraid.

In retaliation, the creatures are getting back at her. She was stung 3 times on the leg by a wasp in the WalMart parking lot, she was stung by a bee while trying to rescue it (it was crawling on the ground so she picked it up to put it on the trampoline mat...she said she saw it's stinger come out, and then when it came out again, it stung her), she got stung by a waspy fly, she was prickled by a striped woolybear caterpillar until she cried in pain and had to wash her hands, has burned her eyes by rubbing them after holding a tree frog, and has had her hands covered in pee and poo from a garter snake.

The bee stings were the worst. I don't have anything for bee stings, so I tried to make a little mud to put on it, but lucky for me, Hyrum's employee, Kyle, was working on our house and since he's an EMT, he came to see what was the matter when he heard Talea crying so bad. He suggested I put a baking soda paste on it and let it dry, and that did the trick. Good thing he was around! I only ever used flax seed while growing up, and I didn't have any on hand.

Here she is on our latest camping trip catching a moth.

4 comments:

MCMULLIN FAMILY said...

Tiana,

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me try and set up my pictures. I really appreciate it! I'll give it a go and if I still struggle, I'll be in touch with you or Melanie. Thank you! Oh, and Happy Birthday, congratulations on your pregnancy, and congratulations on your scheduled trip to England!
Tammy

Anonymous said...

Wow, so curious. none of my kids will go near bugs.

Marcee said...

This is so funny. Talea would get along great with my little nephew. He lives for bugs, insects, snakes, lizards, frogs. The kids will be outside playing on the swings or trampoline, and you go to find Dylan and he is trying to find a caterpillar or catch a butterfly.

The Lanyons said...

A girl after my own heart!