Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Philosophy of Tilly 101


Have you read Shel Silverstein's "Where the Sidewalk Ends"? If you have, do you remember the poem about the sharp-toothed snail and how it will bite your finger off if you stick your finger up your nose? I read Talea that poem over a year ago, and since then, it has left a lasting impression on her (after all, she does have a snail obsession). While I was lying next to her before her nap today, I traced my finger down her forehead, nose, lips and chin, telling her I'll always love her no matter what. Afterward, she returned the sentiment, then she gave me a warning.
"Mom, if you take your finger down my nose again, the sharp-toothed snail will come out of the holes and bite your finger off. You have to go around my nose to my lips so it doesn't bite you. Stay away from the holes."

Oops, my mistake.

I then discussed with her about how I wanted her to mind me the first time I said something and not wait until I've counted to 3 and she's lost her opportunity to mind without trouble. She said, "Well, something keeps pushing me to do bad things." I told her to push it back and not listen to it, and to do the good thing. She then said, "But it keeps pushing me again!" I told her next time it did it, she could tell me and I'd give it trouble instead of her. I love talking to her and listening to how she thinks. It's absolutely adorable.

After that, we were just lying quietly together, I was scratching her head, hoping that she'd fall asleep, and then she said, "When you breathe, your nose makes tiny baby squeals. Yesterday my nose was making tiny baby squeals. Everybody's nose makes tiny baby squeals sometimes." I thought it was so funny! What a cute way to describe a nose whistle.

1 comment:

John-Maren Goodman said...

She is so smart. It is a big reflection of what awesome parents she has! Love you guys!