Friday, August 1, 2008

Little

Our kitten Hyrum brought home last year is named Little. Tilly named it that since it was so little at the time. Well, Little's rather big now, and last night she became a mother. Aren't there any sterile cats out there that you don't have to neuter or spay?

Here's Little as a kitten playing with Talea.


Here's Little today as a brand new Mommy to 6 little ones. And no, we're not keeping them. We'll give them away when they're old enough.


Needless to say, Talea's in 7th heaven. I can't keep her away from them! Little is an outside cat, so last night we suspected she'd had her babies since she looked thinner and her tail looked a bit mangy, but she was still sort of plump so we ignored it until this morning and could tell for sure the event had indeed occurred. We had to watch her eat and drink then follow her in order to find her babies. She had them in a dark corner of my food storage room behind some boxes of empty canning tins. I had baby clothes out in the open all over waiting for lids to the containers, so I was really grateful she chose to have them on a plywood shelf rather that a box of comfy baby clothes. She's always been a sweet cat.

I felt bad for the babies being on a cold, hard shelf, and I was afraid that they'd fall off when they wandered around, so I made a comfy bed for them, and so far Little is keeping them there.

3 comments:

Teresa Jolley said...

You don't want a bunch of cats running around? Come on...Ok, I understand, we have one and that is one too many. Although Star loves to torture it.

John-Maren Goodman said...

OH congrats to little. We had babies at the same time. It would be like me to have my baby around the same time a cat that I love does. I've always been a cat person!!! And your cat especially. I wanted to take her home with me when I was there in Feburary. I would take 1 or 2 of those kittens if my husband would let me in a heart beat!

The Lanyons said...

Oh man, when we come visit Tabby is going to be in the storage room the whole time!!