Sunday, August 17, 2008

Domestic Devil

I have visions of greatness when it comes to hosting guests. I imagine guests finding themselves lured to our spotless house; there is no sign of construction; children play on a lush green lawn and playground; flowers bloom in a weed-free garden; the delicious aroma of cookies or zucchini bread baking fills the air; my hair, makeup and clothes are all adorable; my children are clean and polite; my conversation is humorous and engaging; my bathrooms are fresh and clean; my appliances function properly and efficiently...
I rarely get many guests, and if I do, they rarely stay for more than a day. Maybe it's because of the following facts:
I'm not a fabulous hostess like my sisters. They bake cookies, cook scrumptious meals, and give guided tours. I have cluttered counters, order out for dinner and am not likely to give any tours since this area doesn't really offer anything spectacular other than the ocean.
My homes are always in a state of remodel.
My poor guests don't ever get a decent place to sleep. We're usually juggling beds or people have to tent it or find floor space.
I don't bake cookies. I'll eat a dozen in one sitting, so I avoid them.
I rarely get a moment to apply makeup or fix my hair. It's the least of my priorities.
I wear "comfortable" clothes , which means they're worn out to a cozy ragedness, or they're just knit loungy pants and a T-shirt that unfortunately does NOT flatter my muffin-top.
I don't make delicious meals, because I fail more often than succeed.
I don't clean my house to a spit shine. I'm lucky to get the floor swept, the sink cleaned and the bathroom wiped down.
I don't have a yard for kids to play in, unless they want to play in powdered dirt, which all parents hate when out visiting.

Maybe when I have grass, a fenced yard, a finished home, and learn to be more domestic in the kitchen, I'll be able to lure some of you readers to my home, and maybe for more than one day. If I build this dream, will you come?

6 comments:

Marcee said...

We need to come visit you anyway. You have been to see us, it's only fair. I don't care how clean your house is and I agree that take-out is just easier when you are entertaining. Then everyone will like the food!

The Not-a-hoes said...

id come either way if i had the money but this babystrology thing kinda creeps me out. seeing babies like that makes me think of independence day where they have the little aliens in jars.....weird!

Angi and Jared Cowley said...

To all those reading Tiana's blog, let me just inform you her post about being a hostess is entirely FALSE!!! I can tell you this because I was just there this past weekend, and the Johnsons were nothing less than gracious. Tiana might not make home-cooked meals, but who wants that when she'll wash and fold your family's laundry instead? (Okay, she might not do that for you, and I would take that as a sign she doesn't love you as much as she loves me..:) They gave up their beds for us and slept outside for heaven's sake! We had a wonderful visit, and plan to come back as soon as our laundry hampers are full again! We LOVE the Johnsons!!!

John-Maren Goodman said...

I don't know what your talking about T! You and Hyrum gave us the best vacation last year and I am so ready for another one! Infact I have been trying to convince my husband to throw caution to the wind and fly over there to see you guys, but only with the promise that you'll take us back to arizona beach or some other awesome places along the coast!! We had a blast and would love to come and see you guys. I miss my big brother and You, Tiana, like crazy, and those kids need to get to know there cousin Braxton better! Plus, you need to meet our new addition! I know it's time, so maybe the lord with bless us with a little extra and John will surprise me with a trip to come see you! Maybe one of these days! Love you

Teresa Jolley said...

Get busy and if you build it, I will come. But I'm not going to wait 20 years so you better get a move on it.

Amanda said...

Oh I feel your pain. Other than the remodeling woes (which we are taking a long break from) I have the same problems with hosting. I want to be the perfect host, but I'm just not a perfect person :)
Someday I'l come to visit and take you out to dinner :)