Tuesday, May 12, 2009

To shave, or not to shave.

That is the question.

I've always shaved my babies' heads around 2 or 3 months old. I just can't stand when babies have the balding spot in the back, or thinning up front when everything else is full, or when the dark wispy baby hair is being overrun by new blond hair, making the baby look like it got a bad dye job. When my babies get any signs of the above, off goes their hair. It usually grows back really fast because of it, and passes up babies who never were shaved.

Now, Paisli's hair has been bugging me for a while. It's seriously receding, thinning in the back, and her new hair is coming in blondish red, making her baby hair look a bit two toned. It's time for it to come off.

But...I'm a little curious as to what my babies' hair would have looked like if I'd never shaved it, so I ALMOST want to leave it alone.

Almost.

After all, if any of my babies was to break a streak of something, it would be Paisli. She was the only one of my kids to be born without a birthmark. She is my only girl to start sleeping through the night at 2 months old (Hyatt did too, but he's a boy...and Paisli sleeps longer than Hyatt did). My other girls refused to sleep through the night until 9 or 10 months old.

So though I'm a little tempted to leave the hair, I think it'll be gone soon. Sorry to those of you who are a fan of the thinning wispies. I'm not.

This is Paisli's most famous expression. She still hasn't gotten past the scowling stage. I can't remember how long it lasted with my other kids. She definitely has the biggest mouth of all my kids, and she and Hyatt have the biggest eyes. She's a perfect combination of Talea and Hyatt.


Here's her hair (the back and front, with her hair spiked and mohawked). Don't you love the mullet? I don't.

4 comments:

Our Pratt Pack said...

I didn't read the post but I read the title and don't DO IT!

Teresa Jolley said...

Wow she is getting big. Rocky doesn't even have enough hair to even think about shaving it and I doubt he will til he's 9 or 10 months. He is BALD!! I hate the receding hair line too and even though he has no hair, you can still see the hair line, he takes after his dad. I love her big eyes. Big eyes run in our family and it's so adorable.

The Lanyons said...

You know I'm anti. I see where you're coming from on the balding thing but as far as the old wives tale of making the hair grow back thicker...Bologna!

Karin Stephens said...

Did you mean Paisli instead of Kiersa?