Thursday, March 12, 2009

Is it winter yet?

On Monday morning, we woke up to snow falling in the sky. That's really rare around here, so the kids were excited. We had a skiff of snow back in...when was it, December? Then when Maren and family came out just after New Years, there was a skiff again. Neither of those times left enough snow to play in.

But on Monday, there was just enough. There was a tad more than a skiff.


Hyrum went down to the storage bins and brought up the snow clothes bin before he left for work. I was still in bed. It was my first day alone with the kids...without a helper. My mom went back home on Sunday. I didn't want to get up, but I knew the snow would melt and my kids had only played in the snow once this year, when we went down to Ashland for New Years.

I bundled up Talea and Hyatt and sent them out to play in the snow, warning them to avoid the mud so I wouldn't have a huge mess to deal with.


Then I bundled up Kiersa and wrapped Paisli in extra blankets and a hat. I was still sore from my surgery, but I was able to carry the two little girls down stairs and over to the trampoline where the big kids were playing. That's where the most snow had accumulated.

Hyatt had been playing for about 5 minutes by the time I got to the trampoline, and he was ready to go back inside. I took a couple of pictures, then I took Hyatt and Paisli inside.




Tilly and Kiersa played around for a few more minutes, then Kiersa was done, so I took her inside and left Tilly to come in on her own. She lasted for about another 5 minutes and was tired of playing alone.


So, for 10 minutes of dressing and bundling, the kids played for about 5-10 minutes outside. Oh well. About an hour later, the snow was gone, so at least they were able to enjoy a few minutes of it. I guess a skiff isn't enough to make the kids want to stay outside and play. I don't blame them. They couldn't even make snowballs!

After the fun in the snow, we had breakfast, and I just think it's so cute to look over and see three of my four kids sitting there together getting along so well and getting so big. Kiersa actually gets to use her booster now!

2 comments:

Teresa Jolley said...

I always hope my kids don't ask to go play in the snow cuz of the annoyance of getting them bundled up for 10 minutes. luckily my older kids can do it by themselves now, but they see snow so often that it doesn't even phase them. I'm glad to hear your feeling a little better. I sure feel for you. Love you.

The Lanyons said...

HA HA! I love that they all have on full snow gear for the tiniest skiff of glorified frost! And I LOVE that last pic!!!