Tuesday, June 16, 2009

More road rash

One 16 month old + one pile of cardboard boxes on a gravel parking lot = one nasty case of road rash

Same day as accident (I was ready to run her to the hospital for stitches since I can't handle blood)...


One day later (she'll be okay)...



We planned to go camping on Friday after work...but we didn't figure in The Jinx. Why do we even bother "planning" anymore?

Talea and Hyatt were playing on a stack of cardboard at the back of the shop, and when Kiersa came out, Talea (being the kind-hearted sister she is) helped Kiersa up on the stack to join them in the fun and dancing. The problem is, a 5 year-old doesn't realize that a 16 month-old isn't steady on her feet while atop a wobbly stack of large, broken-down cardboard boxes. The stack was probably at least 4 feet high since the recycle guy hasn't come in a while, and though we'd warned the kids to stay off it, the temptation was apparently too great.

This is Talea's version of what happened: "I wanted to play on the cardboard, and Hyatt came out with his broom singing "Violin", so I lifted him up, then Kiersa came around the corner and I lifted her up too, then I climbed up. We were dancing and singing "Violin" then Kiersa was gone. I heard her crying, so I climbed down and I saw her mouth and her cheek was bleeding, so I ran to get help."

I was in my office when I heard Talea's cry for help, but Hyrum was already running out since he could hear Kiersa crying. Thank goodness Hyrum was there because I was ready to pass out with all the blood everywhere, and all I could do was wring my hands and try not to panic. Hyrum, on the other hand, was very calm and collected and inspected her all over and got the bleeding under control.

In the end, the worst cut wasn't bad enough for stitches, and thankfully her chubby cheeks had padded her fall so she didn't crack her skull or something. The poor girl is a magnet for injuries right now. I guess this is the exact reason why my brother-in-laws want my sisters to watch their kids so carefully. This probably wouldn't have happened to them. Hy and I just let our kids run loose to play, and hope for the best, since that's how we were raised.

We did go camping that night anyway. Kiersa was smiling and happy again within about 20 minutes after the accident.

2 comments:

Marcee said...

Poor thing. I hate when they get hurt... especially like that! Glad to hear she didn't need any stitches, that is horrifying when they are so little, I think. Two of my kiddos have had stitches and one had to be put under in order to keep him still to do it. That was far more worse then the stitches themselves...

The Lanyons said...

So sad. poor girl.

Yes, it's the kind of thing that would've happened to Dakota (he was allowed to run free when it was just the two of us) but not to Tabby (she's watched like a hawk).

But I guess it's good in the long run because I've basically never seen Tabitha's blood and she's four now!

And PS - what song is Violin?