Friday, June 19, 2009

El Chunko, the sequel

Paisli has broken Kiersa's chunky record! At 4 months, Kiersa was 15 pounds, 5 ounces. Paisli, on the other hand, at her 4 month check up yesterday was 15 pounds, 12 ounces! If those numbers don't mean anything to you, she's in the 90th percentile and has mega thighs with more rolls than a bag of Rhodes. And the cellulite...well, we won't go there. I'm sure that with the quantity she has, it's bound to be a sensitive subject. It's funny how my first two started out pretty skinny, and my second two have been "so plump-eh, and oh so chunk-eh" (that's Madagascar 2 if you're confused). I have to say that even though it was fun having skinny babies (you could carry them in one arm for hours without getting tired), it's more fun to squish my chubby babies' plump little legs and smooshy cheeks. It makes them so cuddly!

The Skinny 2: (note the lack of arm chub)

Talea at 2 months


Hyatt at 3 months


The Chubby 2: (note the rolls)

Kiersa at 1 month (this chub is strictly from breastmilk...no formula introduced yet)...


...and Kiersa at 8 months


Paisli at 3 months


How they are so different is a mystery to me.

You know how with your first baby you have all the time in the world to coo and play with it and watch for/encourage each new milestone since you have no other kids distracting you? Well, with Paisli, being my 4th, I've forgotten to do that. At her appointment, the doctor asked me if she rolls over yet. Hmmmm. Does she? Honestly, I didn't know. I didn't remember ever seeing her roll over, but when I really thought about it, she has never once been laid on the floor to have the chance to try. Since our floors at home and at work are both hard laminate and tile, the floor is too cold and drafty to put her on, especially since she's been so sick in her life. She spends her time in my arms, her swing, Daddy's or Grandpa's arms, her carseat, or her bed (strictly to sleep). And in her bed, she sleeps on her tummy (I know, I know, SIDS risk, but my kids will only sleep well on their tummies), with a heavyish blanket on her that makes it too difficult to roll.

Anyway, when I got back to work, I decided to test it out. I have a play mat for her that someone gave me, so I put her on her tummy and let her play (near a space heater so she'd be warm enough). I had to leave my office for a bit, then I heard her crying, so I went back in and found her on her back. Yep, she rolls over. Next, I decided to see if she'd grab her toys hanging over her head. Yep, she does that too. I have no idea how long she's been able to do these things! Sorry, Paisli. It's the curse of the 4th child...Mom's too distracted to focus all her attention on you. I love you tons though, and I already knew you had skills even if I hadn't tested them out.

Oh! She's almost ready to sit up too! I was out in the yard shoveling my new bark (that's a story for a different post), but Paisli was impatient, so I fed her, then I sat her on the grass, and to my surprise, she holds herself up really well for several seconds before leaning to the side. She'll sit up when surrounded by her boppy too. Kiersa's chub made it hard for her to sit up well until 6 months, so we'll see what happens with Paisli.

No comments: