Thursday, June 4, 2009

Memorial Day Camping, and Hy's birthday



After 4 months of constant sickness, our entire family is well!!! Time to celebrate! We decided to go camping! But it ended up being Cluff style because nothing went as planned and we got started waaaay later than we should have.

Day 1: Friday
Mom arrived to go camping with us.
Decided to camp at Arizona Beach.
Found out Arizona Beach is only a day-use beach now...no camping allowed.
Decided to camp at Humbug Mountain.
Hy had to work much later than planned.
Decided Humbug would probably be full.
Decided to camp at Sunset Bay.
Found out Sunset Bay was full.
Considered Laverne Park, but ended up deciding to camp at work...in the back.
Tried to have a barbeque at Sturdivant park, but the wind froze the kids, so we went back to work.
Built a fire behind the office, had a hot dog roast and s'mores...Hyrum style (use E.L. Fudge cookies instead of graham crackers and chocolate bars...waaaaay better and much less messy).
We camped in the trailer while my parents camped in their minivan. Poor dad. He wouldn't take us up on the offer to use the trailer.

Day 2: Saturday
Slept in.
I painted the front door and window sills of the office while I waited for everyone to wake up.
Had a pancake breakfast.
Went to Shore Acres to see all the flowers in bloom.









Went to the Simpson beach overlook.

Went to the overlook to see the baby seals again.
Split ways from mom and dad.
Went home to sleep for the night.

Day 3: Sunday
Went to church, especially to see the complete change of Relief Society and Primary presidencies. I was released from my 3+ year calling of Primary secretary.
Hooked up the trailer and headed south along the coast. The ocean was unusually blue instead of grey.

Set up camp at Humbug Mountain campground.

Tilly fell out of the car when Hyrum opened the door, but Hyrum caught her face with his foot before it hit the ground. Darn tinted windows.
Fed Stellar's Jays. They swooped into our camp with no fear. Kiersa LOVED it!

Roasted hot dogs again.
The kids raced each other, and Hyatt is only one second slower than Tilly.



Day 4: Hyrum's birthday, and Memorial Day...Monday, May 25th
Made Hyrum breakfast.
Gave him a .22 rifle for his birthday present. I FINALLY managed to surprise him with a gift this year!
Took down camp.
Kiersa pulled a Talea and fell out of the car and scraped up her head when I opened the door.

Went to the Prehistoric Gardens (see last post for photos).
Bought the kids candy sticks to suck into sharp points, like the good ol' days at Olive Pit.

Went to Brookings. Hyrum worked with some customers while I played with the kids at a cool park.









Went to Harris beach and fed the squirrels and seagulls.





Went to Arizona Beach. Drove back home.

Happy Birthday, my love! You just get better all the time and I love, love, LOVE being married to you. I love that you always smile. I love that you're always talkative (so I don't have to be). I love that you're always happy and laugh a lot. I love that you make your family first and foremost in your life and that you choose us over friends and hobbies. I love that you think I'm attractive, even after you've seen up close and personal all my horrors from babies, injuries, surgeries and bad luck. I love that you taught me how to back up trailers so I don't look like a helpless female behind the wheel when I have to back trailers up. I love that you loved being on a semi with me where you were never farther than a few feet away from me at all times for 2 years straight, and you didn't get sick of me. I love that you appreciate my yard work. I love that we never had the "7 year itch" in our seventh year of marriage, or our 8th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd or 1st. I love that I can feel 100% comfortable around you and never feel the need to ever keep a secret from you...in fact I find it impossible to, which is why I've only ever managed to surprise you with a gift twice in our marriage. I love that we know each other so well that we can just look at each other across a room and read in our eyes what we're trying to say to one another, without ever saying a word. I love that even after 10 years of knowing each other, we hate to be apart even if it's only for a few hours. I love that you will watch Jane Austen movies with me. I love that you're a book listener like me, instead of a reader, so I don't have to feel guilty about not finding time to read. I love a million more things about you, but I don't want your head to get too big all in one night, so I'll just tell you one last thing.

I LOVE YOU FOR FINDING ME...FOR KNOWING YOU WANTED TO MARRY ME JUST AFTER MEETING ME...FOR CHASING ME...FOR STEALING ME AWAY FROM MY MISSIONARY...FOR HOLDING ON WHEN I WOULDN'T COMMIT...FOR TAKING ME BACK, AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN, AFTER I BROKE YOUR HEART...FOR STANDING BY ME AT ALL TIMES...AND LASTLY, FOR TAKING ME TO THE TEMPLE. I COULD NEVER IMAGINE AN ETERNITY WITHOUT YOU!

You're my best friend. Happy birthday.





1 comment:

The Lanyons said...

What a fun trip (well, bits of it anyway). And we forgot to say happy birthday to Hyrum because we were in Cornwall, so happy late birthday Hy!