Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I wish I could be a cowboy

I found my camera! Hyrum, being the good husband, returned my camera to my diaper bag after borrowing it the other day, but forgot to tell me and then forgot whether or not he had actually put it there. I checked my bag, but it wasn't in it's usual compartment, so I dug through the bottomless pit it seems to become (am I the only one who's diaper bag/purse becomes a black hole for things to disappear in?) and I ended up finding it! Hurray! Now I'm sad I missed all the pictures I could have taken if I'd only searched my bag closer.

So it seems Hyatt's becoming quite the cowboy. He's more interested in horses than Talea now, I think, which is funny because Hyatt used to be too afraid to touch horses, let alone ride them. Now, he's all about all things "horsey" and likes to wear his "cowboy shirt"

and calls Hyrum's striped shirt a cowboy shirt,

and insists Talea wear her cowgirl shirt with him.


Remember how I mentioned that I made a very "homemade", lame-o leaf wreath for the office and Hyrum thought it looked like socks hanging in the window? Well, I took it down and threw it outside to decompose, but even after the leaves blew off and decayed, the stick that I taped in a circle was still lying around. A few days ago, Hyatt found it, and what do you think he saw in it? A lasso! He's been roping everyone and everything ever since, calling himself a "roping guy". He even twirls his wrist and everything! We know what to get him for Christmas now! Hyrum ordered him a little roping dummy online that goes on a tabletop, and then we'll stick Hyrum's dummy steer head on a bale of hay and let Hyatt have at it with a real lasso. Hyrum used to always ask Tilly if she was going to be his roping partner (if you weren't aware of it, Hyrum used to be quite the roper when I met him), but now it looks like it will be a father and son team rather than a daddy/daughter team. I can't wait! We're going to have to get our kids a horse one of these days.





It's been a while since I took video on my camera, and of course, I forgot and turned it sideways to record, so you have to turn your head to view it. Sorry! I just know that Nana and some aunts would appreciate the video anyway, even if it is sideways. I love how at the end of the video, Hyatt says "I wish I could be a cowboy."

I took that video at the office in their playroom, and you can see Tilly is absorbed in her preschool games and isn't interested in being roped.

Tonight the kids picked the Black Stallion to watch. It's all about the horses now!

3 comments:

The Lanyons said...

Good thing we got Hyrum's cowboy shirt back from the Cotswolds - I wouldn't want to disappoint Hyatt!

Was that your old fall leaf wreath? If it makes you feel any better mine looks like crud now too. It was nice when the leaves were fresh but as they've dried they've shriveled and lost their color. I'm going to try a red berry wreath for Christmas because there are a bunch of bushes on the side of the road on the way to the gym. I'll let you know how that turns out. And just in case you're interested, I think the secrets are floral wire and buying a pre-made wreath base.

John-Maren Goodman said...

Hurray, Hyrum finally has his cowboy buddy! All that Wyoming cowboy in his can now be passed to his son!! Watching that video just made me soooo anxious and excited to see you guys!! 1 more week!

John-Maren Goodman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.